In today's issue: indigo children, crop circles, a linkdump and my day.

Today is the European Elections, and if the BNP take an inch I'll feel personally responsible. For once, I am responsible for my own feelings of helplessness about the world. I didn't get my application in on time, to vote by post or proxy which accidently makes me one of those statistics not voting. I'm sure everything will be fine, but I'm still a little irritated.

I'm taking out my ire elsewhere: the indigos. The concept, if you've never come across it before, is actually rather a cool one. Humanity is about to move to a new level of evolution and
consciousness, and some new children are being born with extra abilities to help us. It makes sense in principle at least, but it still makes me angry at a level no other New Age phenomena does. I believe in freedom, and I believe that spirituality is highly personal. Within reason, I believe people should have the right to believe whatever they like. Reason ends when people are endangered, you or others. So, worshipping the great Sun Beast and drawing up your astrological chart is OK in my book, as long as you don't start sacrificing virgins and spending your kids inheritance on TV fraud psychics. If you want to believe you are Otherkin, the reincarnation of Cleopatra, a Human Angel - that's fine, as long as no one is being hurt. If you do choose to see these things as linked with odd behavior (i.e. arrogance), then it's a symptom not a cause. In principle that's all fine.


What's not fine is dragging kids into it. The indigo phenomenon is boasting for new age mommies. Little Timmy has got the lead role in the nativity? Well my Laura is a princess of the magic sparklekingdom from the third dimension. Even if you ignore the medical side - autistic or ADHD symptoms are very similar to indigo symptoms - what's it gonna do to a child's psyche being, frankly, spoilt like that? All a kid wants is to be normal and muck around, not treated like a magic energy being from the aether. And the symptoms are so very general to apply to any child. Beautiful eyes, curious, loving, "special" - what parent would't find these traits in their ickle sprogs?


http://www.metagifted.org/topics/metagifted/indigo/isYourChildAnIndigo.html


I scored 16/21, which means I'm almost definitely an Indigo. How did you do?


Paranormal Channel - anyone else got it? It's brilliant! I've just finished watching National Geographic's "Mystery of the Crop Circles"!! I do believe in ghosts, in a way at least, and I feel aliens are plausible too, though not of the Earth-invading/super-intelligence type. Crop circles are not a topic I've an opinion on, nor something I knew much about.


I still don't know much about them. "Beneath these clouds lies a land of mystery" droned the opening narration, with Voiceover Man melodrama and gravel. That land turns out to be Wiltshire, and the narrator then used the word "mystery" at least five further times within the next minute. The program focused on what it called "pilgrims of truth and diciples of wonder", or nuts with badly substantiated theories. In fairness, the program didn't investigate the theories very deeply, so maybe there was something in them...such as an Oxford physicist who has worked out they are casued by "plasma vortexes" decending from the sky. He doesn't know what causes them, or why, or where the electricity comes from, but apparently they've replicated it in Japan and made a tiny 1cm circle. It'd seem quite scientific, were they not calling them "plasma vortexes". Or a pair who believe they are energy markers which can be read by sensitives. Sensitives like them, for example. They have written several books, but are also withholding information they believe "the general public are not ready for". A third man speaks of a cosmic fish which flies through the earth and the universe, and crop circles are formed by its cosmic bubbles. I like this one best. One man walking his dogs actually saw a line fall from the sky and create a crop circle, and he thought nothing of it. This made me a little bit excited until he came up with his own theory: time spillage. Crop circles "weld the edges of the time continuum" back together. OK then...


We then go back to Oxford physicist, who demonstrates some fantastic logic. Crop circles tend to be a certain diameter, which corresponds with that of Stonehenge. It is therefore "highly probable" that Stonehenge was built on top of a crop circle. This did suggest an interesting angle: are they recorded in history? Other than by Stonehenge? A little Wiki research reveals they were around in the 1600s and 1800s, but the show doesn't follow this. The narrator himself sums up the program's vague and wishy-washy treatment of the subject in his final line: "the crop circles are telling us something, and it's probably something interesting..."

In any case this video comes highly recommended if only for the LOLs. For my own part, I cannot believe that such geometrically perfect designs could be created by pranksters at midnight. Then again, I still get amazed when pitta bread swells up in the microwave, or that ice blocks crack when placed in lukewarm water...


As a side effect, I've discovered some great fake awards cerimonies:


The Ig Noble Prize
Winners include the inventor of the "count how many are wearing white shirts - right, who saw the gorilla?" and pioneers who modified the sound of potato crunch to make them more tasty.

The Diagram Prize for Oddest Title of the Year.

The Pigasus Award
For dodgy research into the paranormal. Favourites are the 1992 award to the Pentagon, for spending $6 million to discover if burning the photo of the Soviet missile would destroy the missile, and 2008 to Jenny McCarthy who heads the anti-vaccination movement.

Today has been pretty cool. Piano, guitar. Greek in the morning. Oceanic is watching a lot of Bones, and it's fairly watchable for a crime procedural. She gets into new American series dramas like I go through favourite Doctors (once a day at least, sometimes more than once...), but I'm growing fond of this one and I'm not sure why. It doesn't appear to be intrinsically any better. Tonight: more Greek, more Doctor Who. Its a hard life. I'm rereading Force 10 from Navarone, purely for the slash. There's far less there than the film - none, to be honest - but I have a vivid imagination and a talent for reading between the lines...

Be seeing you!

Comments (0)