I had to do this daft thing for Facebook, otherwise the Toasty Demon of Chain Letters would have fried my ears with eggs for his breakfast. And very much enjoyed it, because talking about myself is what I do best. But somewhat sheepish about other people actually having to read it.


1 - I'm an obsessive collector. You'd never guess by the state of my room, but when it comes to books/films/trading cards I love nothing better than a neatly ordered, colour-coded list.

2 - my new years resolution was to stop letting people give me carrier bags in shops. I'm kinda sticking to it.

3 - Milk is my favourite foodstuff in the world. I go to sleep, looking forward to my milky cereal in the morning, it's the only reason I get out of bed and I can get through a litre very, very quickly.

4 - I like to claim that I don't have a favourite Doctor, and while I do love all ten more or less equally...the truth is I probably do. I'm not saying more than that.

5 - I can't listen to the song "Nights in White Satin", because no matter when or where I hear it, I burst into tears. I'm still not sure why.

6 - Where am I? In the Village. What do you want? Information. Whose side are you on? That would be telling. We want information...information...information... You won't get it! By hook or by crook, we will. Who are you? The new Number Two. Who is Number One? You are Number Six. I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 - I still haven't seen Citizen Kane, don't like Hitchcock and am bored by Spielburg

8 - I currently own 37 copies of the Picture of Dorian Gray. Most wanted list: an original, preferably signed; a copy of the Lippincots magazine in which it was originally printed; one in a non-Roman writing system; a children's edition with all the nasty bits taken out. If Disney can sanify Hunchback of Notre Dame...!

9 - If my campus were to catch on fire right now, I would rescue: Aurinko, my copies of Planet of Fire, Just War and Sands of Time; my stack of five Dorian Grays I've bought since being here; my TARDIS carry case with my entire figure collection; my notebooks and laptop and The Game. Possibly my scarves too, and particular pieces of jewellry with strong sentimental value if I could spot them. If I could only grab three things, then it would be my Dorians, Aurinko and diaries/notebooks.

10 - Worst places in the world? Ellis Island Immigration Centre, Bodmin Gaol and the Maughan Library.

11 - I love bad taste, kitchy, retro rubbish. Alarmist movies about the terror of drugs, or Russians. Cold War stuff full stop. Posters which should know better: I'd love a "my doctor smokes Camels", or something with a glamorous happy housewife smiling about her new plastic toaster. I already collect religious rubbish - "Now and the Near Future Prophecised", an alarmist cult book aboiut how the world will end in 1977, complete with diagrams of the apocalypse, is the prize of my collection.

11b When I write or type the word doctor, even in an innocent context, I always find myself accidentally capitalising it.

12 - If I thought I could get away with it, I'd like to collect innocently racist memrobilia of the 30s-60s - not hardcore tasteless genuinely BNP stuff, you understand. Orignal non-clean Enid Blighton books, black-and-white minstrel show LPs, gollywog dolls. But I'd be too worried about offending someone or having them misunderstand my motives. I like these things because it's only in the past decade we as a society have genuinely agreed this is an unacceptable way to view any group. Yet in the 40s and 50s, it was taken for granted that it was OK. There's an early Doctor Who episode which actually uses that firebrand n-word as part of a children's rhyme. I'm pretty sure my mum still has a gollywog somewhere in the attic: this wasn't very long ago.

I think this is a very powerful thing that the world needs to remember - like not giving women votes or locking up gays in the 1800s, or keeping slaves in the 1700s, or abusing your peasants in the 1200s, every society has it's own 100% accepted values which with hindsight, are completely shocking. I wonder what the future will think when they look back at our time; I wonder what facet of modern society they will bash their heads at, and wonder "...but how could anyone ever believe that...?" in the same way we regard past practices. And that's why I want to collect.

13 - I can't be concice about anything.

14 - my favourite swear word is "barstool". It comes from the contractully-obliged version of Hot Fuzz where all the swearing is overdubbbed - "funking", "peas and rice" (for "Jesus Christ") - and my favourite, "cut it out you silly barstool!" to overdub "bastard".

15 - Roger Delgado was, is and always will be the hottest man in sci fi. So say we all!

16 - I'm not about to convert, so don't get alarmed; but I think the Wiccan rule "Do what you like as long as it harms none" is very powerful and one I want to live by. "none", in my book, includes yourself and the natural world.

17 - Pianists: either I fall in love with them, or I want to rip their ears off. Depends. I have been known to get jealous of automatic keyboards.

18 - Calypso, who lives in Reading, has offered to take me to see its famous prison, made legendary in a poem by it's most famous inmate. I don't know if I should go. I've a feeling I would overreact. I would visit his grave in Paris, if I thought I could do it without the services of Kleenex.

19 - Oasis by Amanda Palmer. PLAY IT ON THE RADIO! BOYCOTT THE COMPANIES! And down with Prop 8 too.

20 - I'm unhappy that I can no longer buy taramasolata. It's fish based, so goes off within two days - there's no way I can eat that much on my own. And because it contains wheat, dad can no longer help me eat it at home. I am living a cod-free existance...

21 - I can't stand Monopoly or card games. A good game, in my book, should provoke conversation not competition - the aim should be not to win, but to have a good time playing. My favourite game is my own Doctor Who board game, not just because it's mine and I'm proud, but because it's tailored to avoid the elements of other games that bore me.

22 - if you want a reaction, use the words "Michael Grade" or "palantir" in my presence.

23 - If you want to hear something weird, engage me on the topic of fiction. It's my genuine belief that Frodo is twice as real as Britney Spears, Gallifrey more real than Paraguy and that all things imagined take on physical existance. Ask me why if you fancy a laugh sometime.

24 - I think the Doctor is well dressed. I have, in the past, happily incorporated celery into my look (not a good idea, reeks something rotten - see below), have my own Season 18 scarf and most recently purchased a fab pair of replica Colin Baker trousers. Top of my "wants" list is a ? Umbrella, a proper cricketing jumper and/or jacket (but only if it swishes when I dash down corridors in it) and Jon Pertwee's entire ruffleful wardrobe.

25 - I have no sense of smell. Not sure why, perhaps it's just lazy. I can smell banana and rotting celery, and after a little prompting I can always smell smoke. But most of the time, nothing.

Comments (0)