Apparently my mama is concerned that I'm not spending enough on food. Now it is true I'm trying to live as cheaply as possible, partly because of a thrifty upbringing, partly because I'm horribly aware of the sheer cost of being at uni and it makes me feel martyrlike and undeserving - and partly because I'm suffering corset guilt. Not that I didn't do exactly the right thing by buying it, not that it doesn't look and feel brill - but it does make me unhappy in the brain-finance department.

So yes, I have been trying to live as cheaply as possible to compensate, at least in my own mind. But the comment has in turn made me worried about my eating habits. I'm not eating badly...am I? I'll be the first to admit my meals are irregular. I rarely have three big meals a day, and sometimes my appetite will swell or vanish entirely. You know what us absent minded geniuses are like, getting distracted and forgetting to eat - but I'm aware of that, and I was under the impression I was doing OK. So, for my own peace of mind even if not yours as well:

I always have breakfast, milk and cereal - and just last week I upgraded from "whatever Sainsburies have on offer" to looking for healthy cereal with oats and bits of fruit. Alternately, breakfast will be healthy, protein-filled homous on fattening, cheap crumpet. Until recently, this would be accompanied by a fruit smoothie comprising at least one, but normally two fruits, combined with fruit juice. I never miss breakfast.

Lunch depends on where I am, but I'm committed to cheap lunch because buying meals in Central London causes me miserly pain. If I have to eat in the city, then my first stop is Tescos - either I buy cheese and a loose roll, a box of strawberries/rasberries or if I'm feeling lazy, a cookie. Occasionally a pasta box, or if I've thought about it, Quorn sausage rolls. None of these are as expensive as, say, a wrap or packed sandwich or eating in a cafe. On Tuesdays, I eat courtesy of Graze, who send me a nice box of healthy fruits, nuts and organic oddities, both filling and healthy. If I eat at home, it's either a version of breakfast or of dinner - bread goes off too quickly for me to get it. If I spend more than £2 on lunch, it's a weird day. And now I'm worrying because Roxana always comments that I'm not eating enough when we eat out...

And then dinner - I tend to have a small snack dinner at 5ish, and then something cooked at 8 or 9. Usually, some combination of pasta/rice with tomato sauce, fake meat, and a piece of fruit. Pizza, sometimes. I worked out stir fry last week, and I've just discovered the joy of canned chickpeas. Sometimes there are carrot sticks with humous. If I'm lucky, Calypso or Sustenus will be cooking. Sometimes just cereal again. Dinner is where I get lazy, but it's OK because I'm the only one eating it - and I have great fortitude when it comes to eating the same thing every few days. And I don't tend to snack.
Certainly I am living cheaply. That's because I'm a miser, and I loathe spending. None of this is expensive stuff, and I'm committed to getting my non-essential bills as low as possible. And before you tell me that food is essential, I can spend £5 at Watrose for crumpets, or £3 at Tescos, or £2 at Sainsburies, or 57p on Sainsburies basics. I'm not fussy, the cheap ones taste fine - and food can be purchased as cheaply or as expensively as your pride requires. I could go to Pret or Nero at lunch time and spend £5 on a wrap - as it is, a roll is 25p, cheese about a pound and I bring a bottle of water from home. I'm not starving myself, and not stretching my pasta/sauces further than is sensible. In contrast, there are some "essential" bills which cannot reasonably be brought lower. Oyster fares are one, Doctor Who DVDs another, and my uni/hall bills are a third.
Just last week, rice was reduced to 75p a box - I stockpiled eight or so, and have been living off that combined with tinned veg. This brings dinner to about £2 a day as well, which sounds appalling. But I that gets me chick peas, rice, peas and a bit of fake-meat at every meal - so how is that too bad? The last couple of days I've been shopping on the hoof too, which is splitting any food bill into very small amounts.
The point of the post is, the comment preyed on my mind a little. It wouldn't suprise me if I had just forgotten to eat for a few days, I am easily distracted. But now I look over it, I'm positive I'm not eating too unhealthily (am I?). I'm simply trying not to be wasteful - I could be spending more, but I really don't want to be.

You only get to hear about my food when it gets weird - when breakfast is dark chocolate on weetabix soaked in Baileys, when I haven't eaten for two days, when I've slaughtered some of those who could not flee in time and roast them on skewers. The days you don't hear about me eating cereal with orange juice are the days on which I am eating normally. Honest.

Comments (7)

On 13 May 2009 at 02:15 , Unknown said...

You should try Boots, I adore them. For £3 (is it £3.50 in London?) you get a sandwich/salad/wrap, either a cake/fruit bowl/some crisps/chocolate (they do ridiculously gigantic bars and huge multipacks as well for some reason?) and a drink/smoothie. If you choose the right things you get about two meals out of it.

You don't eat enough though- fair enough your appetite's less than mine (obviously). You should try getting a bag of frozen veg and just chucking some with stuff, you could do with the iron in green veg.

PS you know you can freeze slices of bread, right? I have to cos I'm the only one who eats brown bread. Why don't you split a loaf with someone?

 
On 13 May 2009 at 03:40 , Unmutual said...

Frozen veg is a good idea - I only worked out freezers a week ago, marvellous invention! Probably healthier than tinned veg too.

Boots is my friend :) They have some nice stuff too. You had me at "smoothie".

Splitting a loaf is a great idea for next year

 
On 13 May 2009 at 05:54 , Unknown said...

I suspected that'd get you. Ps what's my super cool blog nickname then? I couldn't be bothered to work it out before x

 
On 13 May 2009 at 05:59 , Unknown said...

Also: http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1897720/775222/

^Journal for Plague Lovers.^

and: spotify:user:clashcitizens:playlist:5q0wObOgcRyU8EbuyKSxOP

^mix of songs, so you have a clue when they play. it's collaborative so you can shove some in if you want. what songs of theirs do you actually know?^

 
On 13 May 2009 at 06:00 , Unknown said...

er. http://open.spotify.com/user/clashcitizens/playlist/5q0wObOgcRyU8EbuyKSxOP might fit better...

 
On 13 May 2009 at 13:55 , Unmutual said...

Um.

You stole the sun from my heart.

And their cover of Suicide is Painless.

Time to listen to some more, methinks.

Wheeeeeeeeee!! Gonna be awesome! I'm glad the tickets have come

 
On 13 May 2009 at 14:30 , Unknown said...

I'd listen to some more if I'm honest - I'd hate to go to a gig where I didn't know any songs. If you're pressed for time, the ones they're 100% playing is the new album so download that.

Slightly insane to do a mini tour (where at least some of the audience will be people who only know one song, a fairly cheery one) where the first half is entirely their brand new stuff, all of which is dark and spiky and imcomprehensible. But AWESOME.

They've promised to do 'curios and classics' for the second half. I don't know how many songs that is, but I'd be ecstatic with any of the following:

Life Becoming a Landslide
Stay Beautiful
Roses in the Hospital
Die in the Summertime
Love's Sweet Exile
Sleepflower
Yes

I doubt they'll play Yes though- it's the HolyBible-est song on the Holy Bible, and on the few occasions they've played it, JDB (singer) had to miss out half the lines because he couldn't bear to sing them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IL&hl=en&v=GmbDgiWFOPo